Ethanol production from green waste can be useful in helping solve the current energy crisis, food crisis and climate change. During the bioconversion process, enzymatic hydrolysis, which converts hemicelluloses and celluloses to reducing sugar, was focused on. Hence, the fermentation of reducing sugar to ethanol is more easily carried out once high reducing sugar yield is obtained. The objective of this research was to identify the most effective microbial community in the process of bioconversion of green wastes to reducing sugars. The effectiveness of the best microbial community was further investigated by comparing different pretreatment methods and environmental conditions. Two low-cost pretreatment methods: Organosolv process and Liquid hot-water pretreatment (LHW) were compared to break down the high stability of lignocelluloses biomass. In addition, the temperature, pH value, and initial carbon concentration of aerobic microbial culture medium were adjusted in order to obtain the highest concentration of reducing sugar.
My first journal paper (2011)
The work of 30 hours per week, thanks to Kee Teck, Qi Wei, Prof Wang and Dr Chen in helping this =)
- Sabah sovereignty starts from Batu Sapi by-election（沙巴主权由三脚石开始）in Chinese, 10 Nov 2010, Merdekareview. http://www.merdekareview.com/reader_view.php?id=15307
- Astrological map of 505（五月五。星相图）in Chinese, 16 May 2013, Malaysiakini. http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/230354
- The century flood of Sabah interior division （谈沙巴内陆省世纪大水灾）in Chinese, 17 Feb 2014, Malaysiakini. http://www.malaysiakini.com/columns/254578
- The recent civic movement of Sabah（谁说沙巴公民运动落后！？）in Chinese, 24 Oct 2014, Malaysiakini. http://www.malaysiakini.com/columns/278473
- Hakka in Malaysia: the imagined Sabahan Hakka（客家話在馬來西亞：沙巴客語的想像）in Chinese, 洞见国际事物评论网. http://www.insight-post.tw/editor-pick/reader-view/20161216/17058
- An open letter to Sabahan voters（联署吁沙巴在野党整合）in Chinese, 6 Feb 2017, Malaysiakini. https://www.malaysiakini.com/bulletin/371584
- An Insight into Native Customary Law System（看见原住民习俗法）in Chinese，9 Feb 2018. Malaysiakini. http://www.malaysiakini.com/columns/411684
- An Ambiguous Voter Status（半邮寄半选民的状态）in Chinese，24 May 2018. Ceritaundi. http://www.ceritaundi.org/bernardng/
- UEC: Misunderstanding is far more important than recognition (UEC: Isu Salah Tanggapan Jauh Lebih Penting dari Isu Pengiktirafan) in Malay, 29 Jul 2018. Iluminasi. https://iluminasi.com/bm/uec-isu-salah-tanggapan-jauh-lebih-penting-dari-isu-pengiktirafan.html
- Sino: Native who has Chinese surname（拥有华人姓氏的原住民：华嘉族）in Chinese，27 June 2018. Malaysiakini. https://www.malaysiakini.com/columns/431501
- Tatana: Indigenous who builds temples and celebrates Lunar New Year（塔达那：建庙、庆祝农历新年的原住民）in Chinese, 19 March 2019. Malaysiakini. https://www.malaysiakini.com/columns/468587
- See you Tam! Reflection of Malaysian Understanding towards Endangered Animals（再见Tam：省思国民对稀有动物的了解）in Chinese, 20 June 2019. Malaysiakini. https://www.malaysiakini.com/columns/480427
- Monkeys or gold? Controversy over conservation of Maliau Basin（要猴子还是黄金：马廖盆地保育争议）in Chinese, 20 August 2019. Malaysiakini. https://www.malaysiakini.com/columns/488732
- How does Indonesia’s relocation of capital affect Malaysia and Brunei?（印尼遷都，如何影響馬來西亞與汶萊？）in Chinese, 30 August 2019. The News Lens. https://www.thenewslens.com/article/124071
- There are only three major ethnic groups in Malaysia: Malay, Chinese and Indian? This is not the case in Sabah and Sarawak.（馬來西亞只有巫華印三大民族？在「沙巴」與「砂拉越」並非如此）in Chinese, 16 September 2019. The News Lens. https://www.thenewslens.com/article/124743
- Malaysian Chinese only speak Cantonese and Minnan languages? There are also a group of North Chinese in East Malaysia Sabah with an “orthodox” accent.（大馬華人只有閩南粵語腔？東馬沙巴還有一群口音「字正腔圓」的華北人）in Chinese, 21 November 2019. The News Lens. https://www.thenewslens.com/article/127760
- Victoria Harbour of Southeast Asia: Past and present of Labuan（东南亚的维多利亚港：纳闽的前世今生）in Chinese, 25 November 2019. Malaysiakini. https://www.malaysiakini.com/columns/501125
- Kimanis, Cassia Bark and The Chinese ancestor of Annifah Aman（金马利、肉桂和阿尼法的中国祖先）in Chinese, 31 December 2019. Malaysiakini. https://www.malaysiakini.com/columns/505414
- The Unusual “Chinese” New Year of Sabah（沙巴不一般的“华人”新年）in Chinese, 5 March 2020. Malaysiakini. https://www.malaysiakini.com/columns/513397
- “One country, two systems” under Malaysia’s COVID-19: Sarawak and Sabah across the sea can actually ban the entry of West Malaysians.（馬來西亞新冠肺炎下的「一國兩制」：隔海相望的砂拉越和沙巴州，竟可禁止西馬人民入境）in Chinese, 8 April 2020. The News Lens. https://www.thenewslens.com/article/133371
- Mount Kinabalu is not Mount KK（神山不是KK山）in Chinese, 21 April 2020. Malaysiakini. https://www.malaysiakini.com/columns/521778
- The normality of margin: When Malaysians were disappointed with the country ’s first coup, the Sabahans of East Malaysia had actually gone through 3.5 times（邊陲的日常：當大馬人失望於國家的首次政變時，其實東馬沙巴人已經歷了3.5次）in Chinese, 8 May 2020. The News Lens. https://www.thenewslens.com/feature/wawasan2020/134658
- Ng B.J.H., Wang J.-Y., Qi W., Chen C.-L., (2011). Optimization and Enhancement of Microbial Hydrolysis of lignocellulosic waste to reducing sugars, NTU CEE Research bulletins, 24, 68-70.
- Ng B.J.H., Giannis A., Chang V.W.-C., Stegmann R., and Wang J.-Y. (2012). Modeling decentralized source-separation systems for urban waste management. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 68, 398-402.
- Zhang J., Giannis A., Chang V.W.-C., Ng B.J.H., and Wang J.-Y. (2013). Adaptation of urine source separation in tropical cities: Process optimization and odor mitigation. Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association. 63(4), 472-481.
- Ng B.J.H., Zhou J., Giannis A., Chang V.W.C., Wang J.-Y. (2014). Environmental Life Cycle Assessment of Different Domestic Wastewater Streams: Policy Effectiveness in a Tropical Urban Environment. Journal of Environmental Management. 140, 60-68.
- Ng B.J.H., Mao Y., Chen C.-L., Rajagopal R.,Wang J.-Y. (2015). Municipal food waste management in Singapore: practices, challenges and recommendations. Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management. 19, 560–569.
- Ahamed A., Yin K., Ng B.J.H., Wang J.-Y. (2016). Life cycle assessment of the present and proposed food waste management technologies from environmental and economic impact perspectives. Journal of Cleaner Production. 131, 607-614.
- Yin K., Ling L., Giannis A., Weerachanchai P., Ng B.J.H., Wang J.-Y. (2017). High quality fuel from food waste – investigation of a stepwise process from the perspective of technology development. Environmental Technology. 38(13-14), 1735-1741.